PEGGY Jean’s sire, Myboycharlie went close to recording his second major winner in the space of a week when UK galloper Euro Charline finished runner-up in the prestigious Nell Gwynne Stakes Gr.3 (7f) at Newmarket.

Myboycharlie’s European stocks are soaring at present, with his first crop including Team Valor’s Euro Chaline and Salai – a stakeswinner at Saint-Could this month amongst the favourites for the French 1000 Guineas.

The following is an extract from TDN.

Team Valor has enjoyed success scooping up young Wolverhampton runners and campaigning them to lucrative careers. Gitano Hernando (GB) went on to win the 2009 GI Goodwood S. and Infinite Magic (by More Than Ready), winner of last year’s GIII American Derby were both purchased by the syndicate after promising starts at the English track.

After an impressive runner-up effort by Euro Charline (GB) (Myboycharlie) in Newmarket’s Lanwades Stud Nell Gwyn S Gr.3 on Wednesday, it appears as though the syndicate has acquired another noteworthy Wolverhampton maiden winner.

The Myboycharlie filly was purchased for 13,000 guineas as a yearling at Tattersalls October and was victorious in her debut at Wolverhampton Nov. 16 for trainer Marco Botti and owner Scuderia Blueberry. She returned to take a handicap at the course Mar. 8 and Team Valor purchased her shortly thereafter.

Team Valor’s Barry Irwin said Botti was a major part in the decision to purchase the filly. “He’s one of the reasons I bought the horse,” Irwin, who has had a number of horses in the Botti stable, explained. “I have a lot of faith in him. He gave me enough confidence to buy her.”

As for his decision to purchase another Wolverhampton runner, Irwin said, “When you buy an all-weather horse, it’s tough to buy them and say “They’re going to transfer that form to the turf.”  Usually, if you’re an American and you see a horse run well at Wolverhampton, you’re hoping they can bring it over here and it will like racing at our style track. That’s a fairly comparable situation. With this filly, part of the deal was I needed to leave her over there for a few races, so when we bought her we were hopeful that she could take a step up, but we weren’t totally convinced.”

After her second in the Nell Gwyn S., a traditional G1 1000 Guineas prep, Team Valor is unsure where she’ll go next. Irwin explained: “After the race, the trainer came up to me with this big smile and said “Are you happy?” I said “Yes” and he said, “Do you want to make me happy?” I said, “I don’t know do I?” He said, “I want you to put up the money for the 1000 Guineas.”

Irwin stated that, after such a physical run in the Nell Gwyn, he will see how she comes out of the race before making any decisions.

“She had a lot of trouble,” Irwin said. “She had two or three parts of trouble, and in the last bit she got slammed into another horse and got slammed by another horse and she got turned sideways. She was about sixth at that point. How she survived that bout and generated a run after that I don’t know, but she flew home. I just want to make sure she’s not body sore and that she’s okay. I’ll take a vote from my partners and see if they want to put up $50,000 for [the 1000 Guineas at Newmarket] or just wait for the [G1 1000] Irish Guineas a few weeks later [at The Curragh May 25].

We’ve already paid a €6,000 fee for that. Usually the 1000 Guineas at Newmarket has more prestige, and if we think we’re up to that path, we’re going to do it. I’d say there’s probably a pretty good chance we’ll do it.

“Team Valor eventually plans on campaigning Euro Charline across the pond. AI would say this would be a realistic plan,” Irwin elaborated. “Run her in one of the Guineas, run her back in the [G1] Coronation S. [at Royal Ascot June 20] and then probably at that point either find one more race somewhere or bring her here to the United States.”–J.M. Severni  TDN.